Reminder regarding the California Small Business Covid-19 Relief Grant Program (First Round ends 1/13/2021)
This is a friendly reminder that the California Small Business Covid-19 Relief Grant Program ends today, Jan. 13, 2021. Enclosed below is a brief summary of the key provisions regarding this California program.
Who can apply?
A small business or small non-profit must satisfy the following criteria to be eligible to receive a grant award:
- The business must be an eligible small business that has annual gross revenue of $2.5 million or less (but at least $1,000 in yearly gross revenue) based on its most recently filed tax return.
- The business must be in business since June 1, 2019.
- Business must currently be operating or have a clear plan to re-open once the State of California permits re-opening of the business.
- Business must be impacted by COVID-19 and the health and safety restrictions such as business interruptions or business closures incurred as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Business must be able to provide organizational and incorporation documents such as one of the following: Articles of Incorporation, Certificate of Organization, Fictitious Name of Registration or Government-Issued Business License and the 2018 or 2019 tax returns.
- Business must be able to provide acceptable form of government-issued photo ID such as a driver’s license or passport.
- Applicants with multiple business entities, franchises, locations, etc. are not eligible for multiple grants and are only allowed to apply once using their eligible small business with the highest revenue.
- Eligible businesses must have a physical address and operate in California.
The grant amount that will be awarded is:
- $5,000 for businesses with annual revenue of $1,000 to $100,000;
- $15,000 for businesses with annual revenue greater than $100,000 up to $1 million; and
- $25,000 for businesses with annual revenue greater than $1 million up to $2.5 million.
How will grant recipients be determined?
First, applications will be reviewed to determine whether the applicant meets the eligibility requirements. Eligible businesses will then be scored based on COVID-19 impact factors incorporated into the Program’s priority criteria so that distribution can consider priority key factors, including the following:
- Geographic distribution based on COVID-19 health and safety restrictions following California’s Blueprint for a Safer Economy, county status, and the new Regional Stay at Home Order;
- Industry sectors most impacted by the pandemic; and
- Underserved small business groups served by the State supported network of small business centers (i.e., businesses majority owned and run on a daily basis by women, minorities/persons of color, veterans and businesses located in low-to-moderate income and rural communities).
Required Documentation for Application
- Application Certification: Signed certification used to certify your business
- Business Financial Information:
- Most recent tax returns filed (2019 or 2018) provided in an electronic form for online upload, such as PDF/JPEG or other approved upload format.
- Copies of official filings with the California Secretary of State, if applicable, or local municipalities for the business such as one of the following: Articles of Incorporation, Certificate of Organization, Fictitious Name of Registration or Government-Issued Business License.
- Government Issued Photo ID: Such as a Driver’s License or Passport
How to apply
You may submit the necessary documents through the online portal. Please see link below.
Owners of multiple businesses, franchises, locations, etc. will be considered for only one grant and are required to apply for the business with the highest revenue.
Grant awards will be announced starting from January 15, 2021.
More details about the program and how to apply are available at:
Should you have any questions or need any assistance from us, please do not hesitate to contact us.